Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Not a Conventional Mom





In as much as I try to be a more conventional mom... by the books.. by the rules.. it seems like I am not cut out for it. I have done my best to be a mommy void of all criticisms but I don't think that will ever be possible because YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYBODY.

When "in love" they always say "follow your heart". I'd say that it can also be applicable to motherhood.

If I go by what people tell me to do in raising my child just because it's more traditional.. or it's the proper way.. or it's the right way.. then I will raise a very confused child.

Each child is unique... different from the moment they were born.

Ever since I was pregnant with my firstborn, I have always read books.. listened to advice.. researched.. Sometimes, the information i get works.. but most of the time they don't. Why? because my kid is different.

I was watching something on PBS last sunday and something about this one lady said, caught my attention... WE ALL HAVE DISABILITIES.

Very true. We typecast people with physical disabilities as "disabled people".. not realizing that we are disabled somehow too... if not physically then probably.. spiritually... emotionally.. mentally... and this is where the cliche NOBODY IS PERFECT comes in.

Gavril is not a perfect kid. He, like any other kid, reached his developmental milestones in his own time.

Gavril is leaning on to electronics.. technology. And i believe that people would be thinking "what kind of a mother is she, encouraging her son to jump into technology at such a young age?" The answer? I am a mother who follows her heart and her child's heart.

I have tried a thousand times to sit and read a book with Gavril.. no luck. I have been taking him to the library trying to get him to be interested in books.. again no luck.. but lo and behold, he sees the computer and he sits and grabs the mouse and starts clicking away.

He does watch a lot of TV and DVDs but none of what he watches could be called senseless. Haven't I mentioned before that he learned his alphabet, numbers and phonics through this media?

I know I have control over this 2 year old but i believe that its ok to let him explore his own interest and not push him to do things that he won't even care about.

I WANT TO ENCOURAGE AND NOT DISHEARTEN MY SON.

My son deserves the best in this world and since we are not capable of sending him to specialty schools etc... all i can give him now is 200% support in what he does and what he likes.

I am talking about this in regards to whoever has any violent reactions on how i am raising my child.

Gavril is a good kid.. loves technology.. loves outdoors.. and most of all he loves God and his parents.

No comments: